The house with the “crown”
Architect: Adolf Vaclav Kolar/ Karl Heinrich
Address: 45, Knyaz Alexander Dondukov Blvd.
Contemporary use: Bank office
The house with the “crown” is like a treasure from the beginning of the last century, which we find among the big changes and reconstructions on Dondukov Boulevard during the years. The house was originally built in end of the 19th century on the project of the first chief architect of Sofia – Adolf Vaclav Kolar. In 1909 it was upgraded to its present look by another foreigner – Carl Heinrich. And if we imagine the beautiful pillars in the middle of the boulevard carrying electric lamps and tram lines, we can successfully recreate the image of Dondukov Boulevard during the first decades of the 20th century. Georgi Georgov’s family-owned building (the building probably belonged to various members of the Georgov family over the years) had its “spirit of place”, which kept it during the times of reconstruction and construction of new buildings along the boulevard after 1944. The same applies to the former building of the Prague Credit Bank. The two buildings are built on common construction line in contrast to the multi-storey building of the socialist period, which, with a new urban design, is pulled back behind a wide pavement.